Mountain Bike Activity Team
Who are we?
Leicestershire Scouts Mountain Bike Activity Team has been established to offer guided rides and skills training to Leicestershire Scout Groups or Districts. The team leaders have been British Cycling trained to Mountain Bike Leadership Level 2.
We currently have a range of bikes and a trailer to bring the fun to a venue near you or your camp, or we can use a formal venue such as Hicks Lodge Cycle Centre at Willesley. At this time the bikes are limited to sizes suited to older Cubs/Scouts/Explorers, but of course younger Cubs/Beavers can bring their own bikes, subject to a safety check.
We also support County events such as Womble and Charnwood, so keep an eye out for us!
Contact us firstname.lastname@example.org
What do we do?
Basic mountain bike skills session
Riding a bike safely requires a set of skills that can’t be taken for granted. We have found that helping young people with these skills makes them safer, gives them confidence and inspires a desire to ride bigger and more challenging routes. We can help your Group, Unit or camp by running a skills session for you. We can bring bikes and all the extras needed to do this safely and effectively. It takes about an hour, we can accommodate up to 12 riders at once and if your HQ has some grounds, we can usually do what we need in the space available. For camps, we have additional kit that means we can build a track, for young people to put their newly honed skills in to practice.
A typical 1-2 hour skills session will include a safety briefing, cycle “M-check”, bike handling and balance skills and/or a brief ride; ideally this would be at your campsite or meeting place, if you have the space on adjacent car park or playing field, otherwise we can agree a suitable venue. Highly recommended for District camps.
Budget cost £5 per rider.
Led mountain bike rides
Often we find that young people just like to jump on their bikes and ride – this is great, and we can help you by guiding rides in many locations across the Midlands in all sorts of terrain, teaching some important core skills along the way.
The Leicestershire Scouts Mountain Bike Activity Team have been trained to deliver coaching and are led by British Cycling Mountain Bike Leadership L2 trained leaders.
We can supply bikes and safety equipment and take your unit, troop or network on short or long rides. We will supply risk assessments and have experience in managing groups on roads too, always making group safety the top priority (shortly followed by maximum fun!).
Half day trips to a suitable trail centre eg Hicks Lodge, Sherwood Pines or Cannock Chase, can be arranged subject to an assessment of skills and ability. These would normally include further skills training followed by a ride on a graded Forestry Commission mountain bike trail. If you are looking for a full off road day out or expedition then contact us to discuss options. Suitable for Groups who have completed the skills session; and want to take their mountain biking to the next level.
Budget cost £5-10 per rider
Leaders skills training
Leaders do not need an adventurous activities permit to lead bike rides in Terrain 0. However we feel the skills of mountain bike leadership should be understood before any of our helpers lead activities with County bikes. We therefore offer free mountain bike skills training to all leaders and occasional helpers. At the end of this half-day you will receive an “MBAT Permit” authorising you to support activity team events or hire our bikes. Contact us for details of the next training day.
Terrain 1 and Terrain 2 Mountain Bike Adventurous Activity Permit assessment
Subject to holding a Terrain 1, or Terrain 2, Hillwalking permit. Contact the County Adviser for more information.
The bikes are available to hire by any Group, so long as a leader has received the leaders skills permit.
Budget cost £4-8 per bike.
All costs subject to confirmation and an additional charge for transport of bikes to and from venue at County mileage rates.
So if you want to run an off road bike event for your Troop or Unit contact the mountain bike team via email@example.com
What will my Scouts need?
Your Scouts will need;
– Trainers or Trail shoes (not sandles, Crocs, wellies, boots)
And depending on the weather and type of ride –
– Shorts or Tight fitting trousers (or cycle clips or elastic bands!)
– Warm clothes & waterproof top
– A small day sack (such as Camelback)
– Cycling glasses or sunglasses
– A drink and food as appropriate
Want to help?
WE URGENTLY NEED MORE VOLUNTEERS TO HELP RUN BIKE ACTIVITIES
– You just need to be a keen cyclist who would like to share the experience of off road biking. You don’t even have to be a scout leader, you can register as an occasional helper to support us without the uniform – just get in touch and we will help sort this. Please firstname.lastname@example.org
– Explorer Scouts are also most welcome to join – you are our future! There are no formalities for under 18s, but we do ask that you advise your Explorer Scout Leader, so they know what you are up to (and can award you the Mountain Bike badge!).
– We will train you in skills and leadership techniques so you can play a full part in our team. Most importantly you can join us on leader rides as well as events, which is what it’s all about – we have a number of rides planned, for all abilities over the coming months, in locations close to home and further afield.
WE ALWAYS NEED MORE BIKES
– We always need more bikes, especially smaller sizes, if you have a good quality child or adult mountain bike to donate or sell please get in touch –email@example.com
WE NEED SPONSORSHIP
– Leicestershire Scouts Mountain Bike Activity Team is set up as a self-financing unit within the County. We would love to hear from you if you could provide business sponsorship for team kit, promotional gear or bikes. Let us know how you can help firstname.lastname@example.org