The Rudkin / Rutland Trust was created in 1972 by bequests to support young people and adults Scouting in the County. Grants are usually awarded for between 25-33% of the cost of items.
Whilst the trust aims to support Scouting for All, it is not intended to be the sole source of funding. Grants from other external sources and levels of Scouting at District and Group level should also be pursued e.g. The Henry Smith Charity.
What is a grant for?
The Trust makes grants to help with the costs for an individual to participate in Scouting activities e.g. uniforms.
Who can apply?
Any member with a particular financial need can apply; (defined as the difference between what it costs and what the applicant can afford to pay). Consideration will be given to members where the following criteria may apply:
- Young Person in local authority care
- Young Carer
- Low family disposable income (both Young People and Adult Leaders)
- Other family considerations (eg special considerations for Adult Leaders)
- Change of family circumstance since committed to expenditure
- Significant health issues adding to cost of participation
- Other demonstrable need e.g. Young Person in college or part-time work with limited time to fund raise
Indicators of low family income will normally be indicated by entitlement to state benefits. This might include:
- Young Person entitled to free school meals
- Household entitlement to benefits such as Job Seekers Allowance, Housing Benefit, Family Tax Credits, Universal Credit, Income-related Employment and Support Allowance, Working Tax Credit
Change of circumstances might include:
- Unemployment / significant business change
- Family bereavement
- Family breakdown
- Significant illness in family
Significant health issues are likely to involve:
- Need for carer support
- Need to adapt resources
Additional costs due to need for specialist equipment (this means the cost of making the specialist equipment available in a Scouting context, not the underlying provision of the equipment).
How to apply?
To apply for a grant, please complete this form. You may add further information if required.
Applications should be completed at the earliest opportunity and passed to District Commissioner or County Line Manager supporting the application
Download the application form - Application Form