February 2019 will be the last YouShape month, the UK Scouting campaign which aims to inspire young people to have ideas and shape their Scouting. As the focus moves to ensuring Youth Shaped Scouting is in the programme all year round, not just in February, we are marking the final YouShape month with a competition to find those Sections who really do shape their Scouting with their own amazing ideas.
Its really easy to enter:
- Ask your Young People which category they would like to enter – Something CRAZY, Something NEW (must be something they have never done before!) or Something HELPING OTHERS (think Community Impact). They can enter more than one category if they like!
- Next, they must decide what they would like to do – use the YouShape and Community Impact booklets below for support on how you can get these ideas. You may want to run a Forum, play one of the YouShape games, or let your Young People decide how they will choose! Encourage them to be realistic, while coming up with something fun and exciting. If there are different ideas, you may want to take it to a vote!
- Once they have the idea, put it in your programme! You may need to support your Young People in making the activity happen, but the best entries will be where the Young People are heavily involved in the planning of the activity and make it happen themselves! It doesn’t have to take up a whole meeting and can be incorporated into anything you’ve already got planned for YouShape Month!
- Finally, show us what you’ve been up to by posting on Fox Leicestershire Scouting Facebook page, emailing email@example.com or posting your entry into the County HQ (Please address this FAO Youth Commissioners Jack and Sam). We strongly encourage the Young People to put this together themselves, with your support. They may want to send photos, written evidence, or drawings, (Please ensure you have the relevant parental permission if your photos include the Young People themselves, particularly when posting online.)
- Make sure they tell us what they did, how they came up with the idea, and what they would like to do with £25!
- The deadline for entries is Friday 8th March – make sure we have it by then! (When entering via Facebook, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org so we can keep track of all entries.
- The best ideas in each category for each Section that really show Youth Shaped Scouting in action will receive the £25 prize!
- Please see our messages to your young people below, explaining the competition to them. Good luck!!
Please note: Prizes will be given to the winning entry in each category for every Section ie. there will be 3 Beavers prizes, 3 Cubs prizes and so forth. Money will be paid into a Group bank account and we will ask to see evidence of what your Young People have done with the money so that we can create more publicity about Youth Shaped Scouting!
- Beaver Scout Challenge (116 downloads)
- Cubs Scouts Challenge (119 downloads)
- Scouts Challenge (105 downloads)
- Explorer Scout Challenge (101 downloads)
YouShape Award Consultation – have your say!
Remember, YouShape is for life, not just for February! The Scout Association are consulting Young People, Section Leaders and Youth Commissioners on how to best make sure Youth Shaped Scouting is integral to our programme throughout the year. One of the ways the would like to do this is by introducing a YouShape Award for Sections to work towards. Have your say on what this should be like, how it should work and whether you think it is a good idea, by using the resources here:
The link to the online survey where you can input your thoughts will go live on 1st February and will appear on this page. Make sure you and your young people give your thoughts!
What is Youth Shaped Scouting and how can you make it happen in your Section?
Youth Shaped Scouting allows young people to shape their Scouting experiences in partnership with adults. It is all about taking ideas from your young people and making them happen in your meetings, events and camps. YouShape means finding out what your young people have enjoyed doing, what they’d like to do differently and making sure everything we do in Scouting is enjoyable for everyone involved.
YouShape is about FORUMS, FEEDBACK and FUN!
We understand that many Leaders find the idea of YouShape challenging, time consuming, or even a bit scary! The resources below that we have put together try to demonstrate that in fact Youth Shaped Scouting is rewarding, important and actually very easy. We know that many Groups are already very Youth Shaped, but may not realise the importance of what they are doing. We want to inspire you to make your programme, events and camps even more Youth Shaped and encourage you to ‘shout out’ about the amazing things your young people have been doing.
The YouShape pack is split into 3 parts:
Part 1: The Community Impact booklet: – Community Impact Booklet
This shows an example of how Youth Shaped Scouting can work on a large scale. It includes guidance on how your young people can decide for themselves how they can support others in their community. You can also read the story of how 109th Leicester Beavers won ‘A Million Hands’ project of the year 2016.
Part 2: The YouShape booklet – Youthshaped Prt 2019 (225 downloads)
This booklet gives guidance and support on how you can make your Section/Group/District Youth Shaped. It includes advice on Forums and Feedback, and includes fun activities to help get ideas from your young people.
Part 3: The YouShape Video – link at bottom of page
The video allows you to watch Youth Shaped Scouting in action. It includes the thoughts of 109th Leicester Beavers, their Leaders and your County Youth Commissioners. Wonderfully presented by Luke, aged 8, be sure to give it a watch!
We are here to support you. We would love to hear what you think of our YouShape pack, how we can help you more and what your young people have been doing. We are keen to come and visit your District events and assist with Youth Shaped activities.
We are also on social media! Follow our Facebook page (Jack and Sam Leicestershire Youth Commissioners – @LeicCYCs) or Twitter @Leic_CYCs.
We can also, where relevant, put you in contact with your District Youth Commissioners or YouShape representative, who you can contact with questions or invite to your Group and District events.
Youth Shaped Scouting is for everyone, whatever your age and your role in Scouting. Whatever it is you’re doing, YouShape should always be at the forefront of your thinking.
Jack Barber and Sam Buswell
County Youth Commissioners
Jack Barber and Sam Buswell
Leicestershire Youth Commissioners
The YouShape Video :